Monday, March 16, 2009

Rebel with Causation

Fellow Rhetoricians,

As a teenager, I was pretty mild mannered. I spent my mornings attempting to be a decent student, my afternoons practicing speech/debate/theatre, and my evenings watching TV or doing volunteer work. I always listened to my parents, and thus was trusted on my own without curfew or worry. So I really think I sort of skipped my Rebellious Teenager phase; I never went out partying or skipped school or beat up nuns on the street. I was pretty tame -- and completely boring to my peers, subduing rebellious tendencies by default due to lack of invites.

However, I think my psyche has decided it now time to complete the required rebellion; hopefully without contest by the empire! My rebellion is manifesting in my academic/educational career. I don't know what has come over me, but I no longer blindly act upon order, nor sit idly by when criticized.
Point 1) I was publicly confronted by a high school coach of the old guard, one who has treated me like a child for the last nine years. I listened to her attack and politely took it "under consideration". Shortly after this, I approached her in private to discuss the matter and ask she not confront me in public. Win.

EDIT: Let's just skip the rest for now.

1 comment:

  1. 1) Totally have to tell me what happened.
    2) No quals for Dave? More to share?

    ReplyDelete